Sunday, July 1, 2007

Note to Self

Note to Self: If you begin a blog, WRITE DOWN THE URL. I had to go through some convoluted steps to get back here. sheesh..... Now, where was I ....



I was able to stay home from work with Maya for 10 weeks after we got her. Those 10 weeks flew by so fast! Maya was such a perfect baby! She ate well, slept all night, never threw up or even spit up. She loved bathtime ... I can't tell you how much that child loves water. Even today she will find opportunities to get to a sink and play with the water. We came home about 2 weeks before Mother's Day, and I had been so afraid that she wouldn't be home for it. I was selfish enough to be upset that she might miss Mother's Day but somehow be home in time for Father's Day. I was already bitter about missing her first Christmas, her first Valentine's Day and her first Easter. I had her V-Day present sitting on the table, and her Easter basket on the table, and believe it or not, we still had the Christmas tree up when we came home on May 6. I absolutely refused to miss her first Christmas, and we opened her Christmas presents after she came home.



Maya's first birthday loomed in the distance and I began planning early. We still had some family and friends who had not met Maya yet, so in horror I watched the birthday invitation list grow to close to 100 people. I thought about cutting it down, but then decided to just deal with it. I finally figured out we were expecting somewhere between 60 and 80 people. I decided on 'bears' as the birthday theme and started stocking up on plates, cups, napkins, tablecloths and decorations as I started planning the menu, cake designs and entertainment. Obviously it would be a pool party since it was in July, and I decided to hire a couple of the teenagers from church to come watch the pool area so that I wouldn't have to be concerned about children jumping in the water while no one was watching. The final tally of attendees totaled to 68 people. I actually enjoyed it very much, and Maya handled it very well. She was not walking or even crawling yet, so she was once again passed around from person to person. My only regret is that I did not appoint anyone as 'official' photographer, and I didn't have a chance to take a single picture during the party. I have a picture of Maya with Gran prior to the party with her little party hat on, which I adore. And I have a few shots at the end of the party when Maya finally had a chance to sit and eat her birthday cake. Bless her heart, she was so tired by then that she just picked at it. I made a small stand-up teddy bear cake for Maya to eat and smush, and then another decorated bear cake, plus a two-tiered almond cream cheese pound cake decorated with white chocolate cream cheese icing AND cupcakes with teddy graham and gummi bears as decorations. We had a LOT of cake, but I wanted it to be perfect! Needless to say, I will not be inviting 100 people to her 2nd birthday party next month.

Maya's 1st Birthday party outfit!

And Maya's cakes:



No comments: