Saturday, August 30, 2008

Had to write this one down before I forget it!

Let me tell you how smart that little Miss Maria is! I got home from work yesterday and found that Maya had a fever. Then Maria woke us up at 2:30 this morning with a fever. So it's been an inside day nursing our sick babies. Maya's fever broke and has not returned, so E took her to run some errands just to get her out of the house a little. She's such an outdoors-y child that being sick is harder on her simply because she has to remain inside. So, I started looking through a great book I have entitled Toddler Play (by Gymboree). Those of us who are less than imaginative when it comes to child play need a little help now and then. I came up with a few things Maria and I could do while whiling away the hours indoors today. I came up with the old "hide and seek" with a box of yogurt-covered raisins and 3 bowls. Let me set the scene:

We're sitting in front of the couch playing on the floor. I get two yogurt-covered raisins out of the small box and put them under the middle bowl. I then put the box on the couch behind me. I lifted the first bowl to show her there is nothing underneath it. I lifted the middle bowl and showed her the 2 raisins. I lifted the last bowl to show it had nothing underneath. Then I said, "Maria, where are the raisins?" , tapping on the tops of the 3 bowls as I said it. She went directly to the middle bowl and tried to lift it. It was a little large for her hands so she had a little difficulty getting a good grasp on it to lift it up. So my 17 month old prodigy then stood up, walked around me, picked up the box of raisins on the couch, proceeded to sit down, empty them out and eat them! bwahahahahaha!! It was such a brilliant move that I had to let her have them.

I so wish I had my personal laptop with me so that I could have captured the moment in pictures and downloaded them, but alas, I'm using a work laptop right now and not a personal picture in sight on it.

4 comments:

Julie Q said...

Aw, cute! :) And smart!

Mary Ann said...

Maria is a cutie pie! So smart too!

Jenn said...

dude - why go for 2 when the jackpot is right behind mom??
Clever little bean - she'll give you a run for your money!

Katie said...

Hey this is last minute but some of us guatemoms are getting together tomorrow morning at haywood mall kids area at 10 . Come if you can :)