Sunday, February 14, 2010

February 2010

I heard a radio announcer say the other day that he is glad February has only 28 days in it, as it seems to be the longest month of the year, so he is grateful he doesn't have to endure 2-3 more days of it. He meant that, if it's going to be really cold in SC, then February is the month that it will happen. And he was correct this year ... we had a big snow event this weekend! Luckily, I already had Friday off and my MIL and my girls and I went to C to visit my mom. We knew they were predicting snow, but honestly, 90% of the time it's never as bad as they make us think it will be. Can't tell you the times when I lived in C that we woke up to NOTHING after a much-hyped snow event had been promised by the local weather folks. Anyway, as we are driving home, it starts to snow about 30 minutes from home. We saw an occasional flake here and there along the route, but then all of a sudden it was like the heavens opened and the snow was coming! And lucky for us, it was JUST snow and no sleet or ice or anything else that makes for really treacherous driving, as my MIL still had to drive another 25 minutes to get home after we made it to our house. But here is what it looked like when we finally made it home, after rushing inside to put on warmer clothes so we can out and play! Can you tell they are happy about it??


Ok, can you tell that I am happy about it, too?

And this is what we woke up to the next morning.... it was gorgeous!





Maya is the early riser, so we left daddy and Maria sleeping and went out to play in the snow!
Maya and mommy's footprints ... I can't believe this child is now wearing a size 10 1/2 shoe!! The move from toddler to bigger-girl shoe sizes, as I think I mentioned in a previous blog, really gave me a shock several months ago.
No we do not own a sled or anything like it, as the real snow events in SC are few and far between. But mama's roasting pan works just fine! :-p
They really have outgrown this little set, but I just haven't had the heart to get rid of it yet, and they will still play on it, so.....
hehehehe....

The early morning hours had such a fine, powdery snow that Maya and I couldn't even make it stick together good to start a snowman. So later in the day, when it all started melting, it finally worked. But by then, the heavier the snowball got, the more of the snow that stuck to it and so you start seeing the bare patches where we pulled snow for our Frosty, and we even had to brush off a lot of leaves by the time we finished!
It took me and E quite a while to get that second snowball up on the first.... it was HEAVY!





By this time I had worked up a sweat, so off came the coat! I'm sure my mother would give me a lecture if she had seen these photos. Assembing snowmen seemed so much easier, say, 20 or so years ago! whew!
ta-daaaa.....


This was my very favorite kind of snow event ... lots and lots of fresh snow to play in, but then nice warm (mid-40s) weather the next day so that it melts most of the snow with no residual slush and ice to deal with the rest of the week. woohoo!
















1 comment:

Lilysmom said...

No wonder you worked up a sweat that snowman is huge! And quite perfect. I love the sledding on the broiling pan. Funny!